Monday, May 6, 2013

Completed Ring

Today was a very eventful and very exciting one. I finally finished my first piece of jewelry! I didn't have much left to do when I walked into M.F. Abdulky today but the few things I did have were some of the hardest parts. First, I had to finish polishing the ring which gets incredibly frustrating because I keep burning my darn fingers from all the friction against the machine. The hardest part of the entire ring was next... setting the stone. My uncle seems to make me want to do everything the hard way so I had to use this device called a bezel roller that looked like it was about about forty years old. The way a bezel works is you sit the stone in the center and you fold the sites of the bezel of the stone so they are slightly overlapping. The bezel roller is what you use to fold the sides over. You place the metal part of the roller on the sides of the bezel and press as hard as you can and rock back and forth until you see the sides folding over. This was not a simple task because my hand was killing me about half way through from pushing so hard but eventually I got the sides to fold over well. Then, my uncle noticed the bezel was covering the stone a little more than we wanted, so he used a carving tool to remove the excess silver covering the blue topaz stone. Finally, I took the ring into the polishing room and polished it off so it was nice and shiny.

No comments:

Post a Comment